Bringing the Green New Deal to Texas
The Green New Deal is the best thing that could ever happen to Texas at the best time for it to happen. And when we Texans embrace the Green New Deal, we will become the best thing that’s ever happened to the United States. Texas can become the Salvation of our Nation. What an exciting destiny to behold.
Right now Texas is the leading emitter of Carbon Pollution in the United States. Hurricane Harvey gave us a harrowing foretaste of the price we will pay if we continue down this path towards Ruination. Only a change in leadership in Austin will turn us away from status quo and our certain Ruination.
I truly believe this is not our fate. We have so much to gain by turning away from the dark path we’re on. Texas has the greatest bounty of renewable energy among the lower 48 states. When we embrace the Green New Deal, we embrace our best Destiny. We can truly be the Salvation of our Nation.
Along the way here’s what the Green New Deal will bring to Texas:
- It will be a massive creator of good paying jobs nationwide. Texas, already an energy leader, will likely gain an outsized share of these jobs.
- Paying for it will create a fairer economy in Texas and across the nation.
- Civic morale will rise like a rocket as we mobilize for the actual emergency we face. We could unite as we did as a Nation during WW II. And like Greta Thunberg says, “act like your house is on fire. Because it is.”
- A just transition for frontline communities and fossil fuel industry workers will springboard Texas towards a renewable energy economy while promoting social, economic, and environmental justice.
- It’s 10-year vision combats procrastination and the investment levels make it recession-proof.
- It’s Backlash-Proof: “Nothing about its framework forces people to choose between caring about the end of the world and the end of the month.” Naomi Klein, On Fire.
- It will mobilize an army of supporters: “Unlike approaches that pass on the costs of transition to working people, the Green New Deal is squarely focused on marrying pollution reduction to the top priorities of the most vulnerable workers and the most excluded communities.”
- It will build new alliances and undermine the Right.
As we turn the corner away from Ruination and embrace the exciting Destiny the Green New Deal brings us, our communities and our democracy will rise like never before. When we bring the Green New Deal to Texas and become the Salvation of the Nation, then and only then will the United States resume it’s essential leadership as humanity rise to confront its greatest challenge in history. Our ancestors will all be proud and our children will never forget us.